For anyone who is interested in DIY projects or craftsman work, finding the best bench grinder is a task that you need to devote some time for.
Without a bench grinder, your metal tools will go dull after using them several times and this will lower the quality of all your craftsman work.
A bench grinder is used to sharpen and smooth rough metal in tools or in materials used in DIY projects.
Depending on the wheel used, the bench grinder can polish, shape, puff or clean any metal making it super easy to use and providing a polished look to your finished craftsman work.
A bench grinder has two rotating wheels, located on the sides of a motor. A big part of the wheel is exposed while the rest is covered by a guard.
You simply need to hold the object next to the rotating wheels and this will be enough to shape your metal object perfectly. You can use different wheels to sharpen different metal tools and objects.
The higher the wheel grit, the more delicate the job the bench grinder can perform. In order to find the best bench grinder, you need to fully understand the machine itself and how you plan to use it.
A bench grinder can be used to sharpen and shape any tool from large gardening tools and lawn mower blades to screwdrivers and wires.
How To Choose The Best Bench Grinder:
With a lot of models available in the market, finding the best bench grinder requires a little search and understanding of the specifications of each one.
Below we highlight some of the points that should be taken into consideration when you are shopping for bench grinders:
Wheels: Different wheels will suit different work needs. There are several types of wheels available for different tools, metals and objects.
A rough stone will be used to repair the edges of sharp tools like old screwdrivers, while smooth stone will work perfectly to flatten out tools. Buffing wheels are used for polishing metals while wire wheels are used to remove rust off different metal objects.
Aluminum oxide wheels can cut and shape steel while white quartz sand is suitable for copper and brass. Some wheels will be strong enough to cut metals while others will only polish the outer surface giving it a shiny smooth finish.
Run a wheel test periodically to see if your wheel needs to be changed. Don’t use a cracked wheel as it might break.
The Motor: The larger the motor the greater the power it will provide. This will be determined according to the tasks you are more likely to perform.
A big motor will be suitable if you are going to cut tough metals while a medium motor will be appropriate for most DIY projects and tasks. Study various models in the market and see which motor might work best for you.
Quality: A high quality grinder, made of good quality parts and from a reputable brand, will not only live longer but will also provide better performance.
A high quality bench grinder will not wear quickly or break easily. You should, however, read the user manual and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before use.
Follow regular maintenance instructions to lengthen the life of your machine. A bench grinder with a warranty and easy to find spare parts is a plus.
Other Considerations Before Buying:
• Light: Some bench grinders have light providing better visibility of your work tools and objects. This will be very useful especially if you are working with dark metals or objects or if your work area is poorly-lit or dusty.
• Sharpening Tools: Some grinders will be sold with a diamond cutter to sharpen old wheels and make them as good as new. This will be quite useful as they will lengthen the life of your wheels before you face the need to change them.
• Cooling system: Some bench grinders will have an embedded cooling system that allows you to sharpen and polish different objects without having to worry about overheating.
• Wet Grinding: Bench grinders that offer wet grinding provide less friction than dry grinding. This will increase your bench grinder’s life as it will not remove too much metal off your tools and objects.
You will have a cleaner and more polished result that will last longer. With wet grinding, you will not worry much about overheating or regular sharpening.
• Safety: Make sure that your bench grinder is safe to use. Check the tool rest where the object you will be working with will rest against the grinder. Make sure it is big enough to have your metal object moved easily.
Fill a bucket with cold metal to cool metal objects if they heat up during grinding. Make sure that you can hold your metal tools and objects safely and don’t wear gloves. Gloves can easily get caught in the machine and you might even lose a finger in the process.
Wear protective glasses to protect your eyes. Wear safety boots and a face mask to protect your face and body against flying grinding dust.
Top 6 Recommended Bench Grinder Reviews:
In this section we reviewed some of the best bench grinders in the market that will suit different needs and purposes.
This slow speed bench grinder features a water cooling technology that will increase the life of your tools and wheels at the same time. There will be little risk of overheating and you will have a clean polished finish every time you use it.
It features 11 different jigs that suit all kinds and shapes of tools and metal objects. It will remove only the top part of your metal tool and the jig will perfectly align your object with the wheel for precise grinding and sharpening.
It has a square jig for sharpening your chisels perfectly without the need for adjustments. Your metal will not slide thanks to this bench grinder’s safety features.
It has an angle adjustment tool to ensure that your object is placed at the right angle every time you use the bench grinder.
The grindstone can be adjusted from 220 to 1000 grits to range from powerful grinding to polishing with ease and efficiency.
It comes with a dressing diamond tool that will help you maintain the shape and quality of your stone. Use this to sharpen dull wheels without having to change them for sharp, even and polished metal edges.
The slow speed allows for maximum control of the bench grinder and minimizes the amount of flying metal particles. This amazing tool comes with a 7 year limited warranty.
• A 7 limited year warranty.
• A diamond dressing tool to sharpen worn wheels.
• 11 jigs to suit every metal tool or surface.
• A cooling system to avoid metal overheating.
• An angle adjustment tool to provide maximum comfort and control.
This bench grinder comes with a 3 year limited warranty and a 1 year full warranty and features a cast iron base for durability and stability. The distance between the wheels is 12 ½ inches making it wide enough for most tools and objects.
It is perfect for shaping, dust removal and polishing of various metal objects and tools with its 5/8 horsepower induction motor making it one of the easiest and most durable bench grinders to use for your DIY projects and craftsman work. The motor is powerful enough to work with most metal objects and tools.
It comes with 36 and 60 grit wheels for various metal sharpening and polishing tasks. In addition to eye shields for maximum protection as well as tool rests so that you can position and work with your metal objects easily.
This bench grinder is easy to use, making it perfect for newbie and non-expert users.
• 3 year limited warranty and 1 year full warranty.
• Cast iron base for durability and stability.
• Easy to use in DIY projects and not so sophisticated tasks.
• Comes with 36 and 60 grit wheels for different uses.
• Distance between wheels that suits most objects and tools.
• Tools rest for comfort and efficiency.
The best bench grinder for small scale tasks and projects.This grinder is rather light and will save you time and money that you would otherwise spend to replace dull metal tools. It also comes with a 2 year limited warranty with high quality customer support making it one of the most reliable bench grinders in the market.
This small and strong grinder is perfect for sharpening as well as debarring and cleaning rusty objects. It features 36 and 60 grit wheels that measure 6 inch ¾ inch to work with various objects and tools.
It features 2.1 ampere motor that will start up quickly and will provide smooth and reliable performance. The wheel guards are easily removed to allow for quick change of wheels. The eye guards are also easily adjusted so that they don’t confuse you while you are working.
The built in light allows for better vision making your task a lot easier and safer. You will able to sharpen all your metal objects accurately and precisely with no need to replace them thanks to this bench grinder.
• Light weight.
• 2 year limited warranty and reliable customer support.
• Built in light for clear vision.
• 36 and 60 grit wheels for different tasks and tools.
• A durable 2.1 ampere motor for fast and precise sharpening tasks.
Another master piece by Dewalt.This powerful bench grinder features a ¾ horse power motor that is strong enough for all deburring and sharpening projects. The motor runs at 3600 RMP for fast and efficient material removal and sharpening.
It has a cast iron base for durability making it solid enough for large objects as well as an aluminium resting tool case that accommodates most tools and objects. The distance between the two wheels is ideal for most metal tools.
It can be adjusted so that you can rest your tool at any angle for maximum control and proficiency. This grinder is durable with 36 and 60 grit wheels for different tasks and projects.
The 36 grit wheel will allow you to shape and sharpen different metal objects while the 60 grit wheels are perfect for fine and precise actions.
The motor is protected against overload which further increases the motor life and it features a tool free adjustable guard so that you can easily use your grinder with various tools.
This durable bench grinder comes with a 1 year full warranty.
• Durable bench grinder with a 1 year full warranty.
• Cast iron base and motor housing for maximum durability and stability.
• An aluminium tool rest case for maximum control and precision.
• ¾ horse power motor that runs at 3600 RMP for metal sharpening and deburring.
• 36 and 60 grit wheels for different jobs and tasks.
This bench grinder is appropriate for industrial like use with a 2 year warranty. It deburrs, sharpens and shapes metals with accuracy and precision with a strong 1 horse power motor that turns at 3450 RMP making this bench grinder super durable and strong.
It includes 2 grinding wheels, each with a 1 inch diameter. One coarse 36 grit wheel for rough metals and large scale tasks and a fine 60 grit wheel for polishing and cleaning for small tools or objects.
This 8 inch grinder stands on top of rubber feet to ensure that it won’t slide or move while working. Those feet can be removed for even more stability.
It features pre-lubricated internal parts for efficient and precise functioning. This grinder also features highly and fast adjustable eye and spark guards for maximum safety.
• A 2 year limited warranty.
• A heavy duty bench grinder.
• Motor runs at 3450 RMP with 1 horse power.
• Perfect for industrial like tasks.
• This grinder removes burs, sharpens and shapes metals with ease.
• 2 wheels, each with a 1 inch diameter with 36 and 60 grit.
• 36 grit wheel for large scale tasks while 60 grit wheel is perfect for fine polishing and sharpening.
• It rests on top of rubber feet that can be easily removed.
• Pre-lubricated internal parts for easy functioning.
• Adjustable eye and spark guards for maximum safety.
Featuring a water tray to keep overheating at bay, this amazing bench grinder comes with a 5-ampere induction motor for super strong functioning. It is perfect for all your deburring, rust removing, sharpening and shaping tasks and will provide a professional and polished look for your metal tools and objects.
It features a variable speed dial that you can easily adjust from 2000 to 3400 RMP to suit different tasks and objects. Its super manageable design allows you to get the precise angle for a job well done every time you decide to use this bench grinder.
Both tool rest pieces are highly adjustable and movable to compensate for wheel wear in addition to help you get different angles with different metal objects.
It features 36 and 60 grit wheels for different sharpening and deburring requirements. The guards are also removable for grinding larger objects. The removable light provides clear visibility making your job super easy and safe.
• 5 ampere induction motor for high performance.
• An adjustable speed dial for different tasks and objects.
• Perfect for deburring, shaping, sharpening and overall grinding of different objects and tools.
• Tool rest pieces and wheel guards are adjustable to accommodate different tools.
• Features 36 and 60 grit wheels for grinding different surfaces.
• A water tray for cooling to avoid overheating of metal objects.
• Removable light for clearer vision.
A bench grinder is a tool that will not seem very important as the other working tools, although it is impossible to live without.
After several uses, your tools will turn dull making them impossible or hazardous to work with. A bench grinder will help you polish and sharpen your dull tools making them as good as new.
The best bench grinder is the one you can depend on and use safely and easily. It has to be durable and sturdy to support working with different metal tools and objects.
I recommend that you purchase a bench grinder with a reliable warranty as it will come in handy when you are working with various objects and tools.
A bench grinder with a speed dial or several jigs is definitely a plus to work with when you are using different metal objects.
Most bench grinders will feature different wheels to suit large scale tasks as well as fine sharpening and shaping of metals.
Safety and durability is something that you should put at the top of your list when you are shopping for a bench grinder.
Make sure that you read the user manual and manufacturer’s instructions before you start using your bench grinder. Wear face protection and suitable shoes for your safety.
Make sure that you can hold and place your metal objects securely to use the bench grinder and ensure that it won’t slide or move while working to avoid injuries.
The best bench grinder you can find is the one that will act like the unknown hero in your craftsman tools army.